I was a model/actress with Ford, Elite, CESD and Gilla Roos for 25 years. I worked in Milan, Paris and New York and had the opportunity to work with some great photographers: Helmut Newton, Olivero Toscani, Albert Watson. Some of the print campaigns I did were: Chanel, Gucci and Gianni Versace. I've been on the other end of the camera for 10 years and love giving actors and models the direction they need to become successful. I give seminars and workshops to aspiring models all over the country.The workshop that has been really helpful for new talent is MODEL MOVES..you need to learn how to move really well as a model in order to become a top fashion or commercial print model. I created an iphone app called Model Shoot which prepares ALL models for their photo shoot. So much of this business is simply having fun, being yourself and giving out great energy!
1) If you need a haircut or trim, do it before the shoot. If needed, fix hair color and roots a couple of days before the shoot. If you come to the shoot with a bad hair cut or hair that needs coloring, there is no photoshop expert in the world that can fix it. If you are coming to Model Moves Boot Camp and you think your hair needs updating (it probably does) I can direct you to the right hair salon. This needs to be organized a week or two in advance of Model Moves Boot Camp.
2) Make sure your fingernails are well manicured and that you apply a neutral color on your nails. No french manicures and no chipped nails. Men don't apply nail polish.
3) Drink water and stay away from salty foods and alcohol the day/night before the shoot. Salt and alcohol have a tendency to make one have swollen or puffy eyes and face.
4) Nutrition is important all the time because it affects the skin, body and attitude. Get advice from a professional nutritionist if you think your diet is not a healthy one.
5) Good idea to be on an exercise, workout or yoga regime so your body is fit and your skin looks fresh. You need to exude a lot of good energy when modeling!
6) Keep out of the sun. Wear sunscreen and a hat as much as possible. Don't tan before a shoot unless requested by the client.
7) Men shave carefully the day of the shoot.
8) Choosing and putting together a wardrobe is extremely important.
9) Commercial print models need to think about the possible roles they can play: Mom, Dad, business person, hipster etc.
Shop at H&M, Forever 21, Joe Fresh and Uniqlo for the right looks if you are doing a fashion shoot.
11) Bring more clothing than needed. If you are doing 4-5 looks, bring a couple more looks and make sure each look is accessorized with shoes and belts.
12)Know what colors are most flattering for you. Stay away from black. Look for tops and shirts that are pastel colors (red works really well on some people). They are most likely your favorite colors anyway.
13) If you are going to wear a sleeveless shirt, make sure your arms are in good shape. Turtlenecks are not great choices for headshots and beauty, but you can use them in a 3/4 or full length shot.
14) Keep it simple and choose clothing with solid colors so the clothing isn't distracting in the photo.
15) Jewelry is to be kept to a minimum. Small earrings for a woman and a watch for the men. No jewelry is necessary for anyone come to Model Moves Boot Camp.
16) If you find it too daunting to get a wardrobe together, hire a stylist. It's worth it!
17) Women need to hire a hair/makeup artist that is recommended by the photographer.
18) Start going through magazines to look for models in ads that resemble you. You are going to need these for reference, so keep them. It's going to help you think of a couple of scenarios for the shoot and also give you some ideas for your wardrobe.
19) You may want to bring a couple of props (husband/wife, boyfriend/girlfriend, blackberry, child or grandchild (discuss with photographer).
20) Come to the shoot with your clothes pressed and in a
garment bag to help insure they are wrinkle-free. There is a steamer at the shoot if you need to freshen your clothing up.
21) In the meantime, work in the mirror with various expressions...keep it natural! Try to figure out which side of your face is the better one.
22)Remember that your eyes are the mirror to your soul, so make them sparkle. Think positive and happy thoughts.
23) Get a good night's sleep and see you on the set!
24) Please come to Model Moves Boot Camp with a small bag of clothing and shoes that has been suggested by Shawn, clean hair and makeup (yes...that means no makeup at all!!), nicely manicured nails with neutral nail polish